Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chapter Thirty Five @ Six : More Than Meets The Eye or Depression And Intellect

We had been suddenly joined after the Red Menace King bloodbath by Slick Rick, Mickey the Torch and even Clean Eugene. After a heated moment between Mickey the Torch on the method of how I had slain a few of the Red Kings I had been prepared to let him have a piece of my mind and perhaps even shove my Rail Gun in his face. For to be honest it was bad enough that my head was still killing me but when he and the others had vanished leaving us to deal with the Red Kings I felt we had done what we needed to do. I was surprised and rebuked by Slick Rick who seemed to instead of taking my side had sided with Mickey the Torch so I had relented and we had moved on to the business at hand the acquisition of the Orb of Sight. After a little creative door opening which had come from the insight of Lucky Ron we had descended to a sub-basement and come face to face with six stone Gug’s and an Avatar of some unknown God who impressed on us that he was a Gog. I will admit the battle that ensued was chilling and destructive but in the end due to our perseverance and all of us coming together as a team we prevailed. We had of course found the Orb of Sight as well as another Orb which we still needed to identify and rose from the sub-basement with two other subterranean areas still to search. We had also come to the realization that we had been surrounded by a small army of militant Brownies who seemed to have laid siege to the Winter Providers estate. I had thought perhaps it might have had something to do with the two strange visitors who I had dismissed before but I left the matter of dealing with them to Clean Eugene while I had focused on the two sub-basements. Of course what we found led to my deductions proving to be correct and when as the insight of Slick Rick confirmed we needed to stay and acquire the remaining artifacts I knew we would need to rest before we began yet another battle. We also had a few visitors ranging from Brownies guard captains to a representative of the local Vampire Count to even the friendly neighborhood Red Dragon. Now add to that the Cave of Despair and the Library of Antiquity we had discovered and I realized the fun had just begun. The only bright side was when I woke up I felt better than I had in years and that is only part of the story of which I shall now detail.

I stood there amidst the blood bath that had resulted from the massacre of the Red Kings by both magic and technology. I had felt the minds of Slick Rick, Mickey the Torch and Clean Eugene return to us and I had sensed as Dirty Anna distanced herself from us and she seemed to be distressed. So perhaps the sight of my Elder Earth Elemental squeezing the life from the remaining Red Kings was a bit much for her to bear but I needed to make sure they were dead for they were far too dangerous alive to be allowed to live with their psychic powers. Lucky Ron, Deadly Dayna and Swami Donnie were pulling themselves together and it was at that moment that our returned Dragonfirre members began to inquire as to what had happened. It seemed that Mickey the Torch was surprised that there were no survivors and Dirty Anna decided to mention that my Elemental had squeezed the life from many of them as she had withdrew to clean herself up. Which of course lead to an argument between men and Mickey the Torch regarding killing helpless enemies. I could perhaps relate more details but it really all boiled down to Slick Rick having an issue with my actions since I had actually placed one of the Red Kings in a deep slumber and then summoning a Shadow Earth Elemental to crush the life from him. He let me know that he felt killing in battle was acceptable but only if you enemy had a fair chance and I relented but not before mentioning if they had been present perhaps I might not have had to use such dire means. Slick Rick’s temper had flared and he had informed me that they had been taken away by the Gods and the I was no one to question their motives. I had rallied and informed him that I would alter my actions and that was not questioning the will of the Gods only stating a fact. The truth was I had indeed chosen Slick Rick to be my moral guide and I had given him my oath to abide by his judgments and therefore I would. Perhaps it was the comments from Mickey the Torch accusing me of being an Assassin well alright perhaps it was true but in was not my profession and while I was not insulted I had found it strange for an Assassin who had slain another Assassin to be calling me an Assassin talk about irony.

In the distance I could see that Dirty Anna and Clean Eugene were still not getting along but we did not have time for their romance to rekindle for we needed to head downstairs to acquire the Orb of Sight. What we beheld was not what I had expected we descended and were stopped by a door that was magically trapped. I knew I had the means to magically bypass almost any trap but I first asked Swami Donnie and Scrounger if they might mind giving the trapped door a look. There were able to deal with the trap and with the aid of a rope which turned into a snake which was an actual good idea by Lucky Ron we were ready to enter. I found that once the door was open I could sense the minds of my friends as they went below and they entered into the chamber with Slick Rick and I holding up the rear. Inside we found a chamber filled with six giant stone Gug’s and at the far end an altar where a figure sat as if waiting for us. It was a man-sized figure and on each side of it atop to over ten feet long poles sat an Orb. It resembled a figure I thought I should have recognized by my infernal headaches were making it hard for me to concentrate. Thankfully I did not have to worry about my headaches for while the ground had many holes and I could even sense the minds of undead underneath the ground Slick Rick dealt with it by calling on the power at his command to reform the ground and seal the holes giving Dragonfirre firm ground to enter the chamber. No sooner then we had and formed a wedge than the Gug statues started to animate and rushed forward to attack. I of course had moved forward and cast a haste spell and drew Widow Maker and began to fire as the other began to unleash prepare for battle. Deadly Dayna had started casting spell of clerical power to increase her size and strength and she now stood over ten feet tall which put her two feet short of the ceiling even casting an air walk spell for good measure. Meanwhile Dirty Anna had taken to the air with her wings and had began to rain down Eldritch Bolts. Mickey the Torch had taken the point of combat wedge. While Slick Rick had called upon the power of nature to call down lightning and within moments the Gug’s were suddenly on the defensive.

I knew it was coming and I was not surprised when the figure or Gog left the altar and drawing to rods began to whirl them like a mad dervish and danced into battle. It was strange for I could feel the chill akin to the Plane of Shadow move forward with him for while I was resistant to cold I was not immune. I could only imagine how the other might feel but I of course remained calm and expelled that calm telepathically for while feared few things that did not mean I did not respect them. My concerns were proved to be correct as the Gog had moved forward and began to attack Mickey the Torch. If I had not seen what happened next with my own eyes I truly don’t know if I would have believed it. For within moments the Gog had struck Mickey the Torch and frozen him into a statue composed of ice and with his next blow shattered him. He had then moved on and began to attack the already wounded Dirty Anna and Deadly Dayna almost slaying my former beloved. I knew it was odd to consider her my former beloved but I knew something was wrong her mind did not feel the same and I feared it might never be so again. It was to our fortune that Slick Rick in the form of a fox was ready for he moved forward and cast last breath spell with instantly reincarnated him and while he should have been fully restored but still weak he had reformed into a deformed state no doubt due to the perverse magic that had corrupted my previous summoned Elemental but we had little choice for casting of the last breath spell was on that could not be delayed if it was to stand a chance of working. Meanwhile Clean Eugene had moved forward to strike the Gog and found himself transformed into ice after he had struck him. I almost found it impossible to believe but while I was till fighting my headache I could not doubt my perception. For somehow or someway any attack on the Gog or for that matter any attack it made had the chance to turn that person into a solid block of ice. We soon had other severe issues for within moments Clean Eugene had tried to smite the Gog but somehow his divine power was turned back on him with explosive results. He had cast a spell which had been protecting all of us who were near him and I could feel it power move with him as he fought to remain conscious. Even Swami Donnie pistol was turned against him and exploded in his face even as he turned into ice sending him falling back outside the chamber. Slick Rick at that moment had altered his form into a giant dire wolf and began to attack the Gug. Lucky Ron had taken the brief respite to move forward avoiding the snapping little undead creature and hurled a spear at the Orbs and it had disintegrated. He had mentally called back to Clean Eugene who was busy pulling himself together that he needed his help to destroy the dark blessing on the altar but Clean Eugene was to busy pulling himself together and informed him that his ability to smite evil had been already expended for the day. There were still a few Gugs left and with Dirty Anna almost down as well as Deadly Dayna and Clean Eugene even Swami Donnie out for the rest of the encounter I had begun to wonder. I knew Slick Rick could make it out and in a worse case scenario I could take three others with me and while I was as yet still unharmed the problem was the Gog looked the same way. I had first informed Slick Rick of the situation and he did not seem worried and moment later after I had cast a slow spell and found the remaining Gugs to be highly resistant to my magic I had informed Lucky Ron of the same fact. He seemed more the fearless and I could tell he wondered if I was doubting myself and I firmly let him know I was not only letting him know the situation. Dirty Anna had come awake after being beat unconscious by the healing hand of Deadly Dayna as Lucky Ron had asked for healing for even he had begun to succumb to his wounds. I witnessed Mickey the Torch begin to vanish and I prayed his journey would with the blessing of the Gods restore him once beautiful form perhaps it was reward for having slain the Associate but it saddened me to consider it. The Gog had decided to eliminate Deadly Dayna and unleashed a fury of blows that should have struck her down but somehow she still stood or actually hovered her body beaten nearly to a pulp. I did not doubt it would work but I felt I had to try and I reached out with my mind to the Gog and attempted to negotiate a truce which in the past had worked but he had responded with a violent telepathic wave letting us know that we would all doomed and would be sacrificed on his altar. Well so much for that I had thought and as I called upon my dark powers I faded from view and moved toward Deadly Dayna and used the power of my healing belt to bring her back from the brink of death and using my wand of curing on her as well just for good measure I fired on the last standing Gug and Widow Maker did not let me down as it fell dead and finally used my Amulet of the Mage to send my last Emerald Mega Healing Potion to Lucky Ron.

We had rallied quickly and while both Dirty Anna, Clean Eugene and even Lucky Ron were again turned to ice with the aid of Deadly Dayna’s restorative magic they were able to use their own innate resistance to break the curse. I of course had tried to break the curse but the strength of the curse was stronger than any I had ever attempted to break and my prayers were answered when I had mentally called to Deadly Dayna to attempt a resurgence spell if she could and she had answered that she would. The battle was decisive and quick and I had even summoned an Earth Elemental to attack the Gog as well and while it had been of course mutated as I had suspected it still served its purpose and pummeled the chaotic Gog. It had of course been turned to a solid block of ice and it had been then that I had realized that the creatures vile ice curse knew no boundaries for as my Elemental has stuck it I had needed to resist the chilling effects of its curse. I had of course at that moment raised Widow Maker again determined then to defeat this creature at any cost and while I had cast another haste spell which had affected my Elemental as well it had done it little good. It was for a moment quiet surreal for the Gog at first had seemed to be not even slowing down and then Lucky Ron was upon it as Deadly Dayna had moved away from Dirty Anna after using both her touch and healing magic to bring her further from the brink and then turned her healing touch and magic on Lucky Ron. Lucky Ron was a whirling dervish and while Slick Rick the rest of Dragonfirre were bringing all of their might upon the creature it was his telling blow that finally severed its head and the Gog fell its power broken.

As we recovered Deadly Dayna was able to restore and aid those who were still wounded even restoring Swami Donnie back to himself. Deadly Dayna had done far better than I would have ever expected and had never lost her composure during the entire affair never once thinking of herself but only of others. She had even called to me in the storm seeking guidance and without her I know that our victory might not have been a certainty. I was impressed as she went about healing the others using her healing touch and magics never once casting a spell upon herself until finally everyone was restored and as I followed her I withdrew my wand of curing and began to do for her what she had done for the others. It was interesting she seemed to barely register what I was doing so intent was she on the health of the others until I finally asked her after expending four charges from my wand if she was alright she had looked upon me with a faraway look and said she was. I took the moment to thank her for her efforts and told her she had done well. I was an odd thing for me to do but I am a realist she did what I would have had great difficulty in doing and so I had merely given credit where credit was due. I was ironic that she barely seemed to even register my words perhaps she was paying attention to the two rods with the Orbs on them. Soon so was everyone else Dirty Anna had asked me to look upon the Orbs with my Arcane Sight and within moment I could see that both orbs contained overwhelming magic but I could make out that the one on the left was more attuned to divination magic. Lucky Ron had warned us that he felt the dark aura might still be around us and I had asked Slick Rick if he could sense it and after a moment of concentration he had told me he could and since we still might have issues with the undead rodents which sadly had human faces he moved forward and sealed the holes with two more elemental earth spells. In moments we had both Orbs after a little tossing and Deadly Dayna racing forward and catching the Orb of Sight while the other fell to the floor and thankfully did not shatter. After some debate I Slick Rick placed the Orb of Sight within his magical backpack and Deadly Dayna gave up the orb she had been holding and gave ti to Lucky Ron to place in his magical backpack. Slick Rick afterward had cast the spell which allowed him to sense the valuables and let us know that he could sense from below the other chambers beyond and they each contained items of value. So with nothing else below to acquire and every as ready as they could be moved back up to the main floor of the Winter Provider compound with Lucky Ron taking point.

Lucky Ron let us know that he thought he had spotted visitors and that the main door might be open. I been moving up behind and him and my Mindsight let me know that they were two Brownies. Looking back it might have been better to just talk to them but oddly in addition to my headache which had come back with a vengeance I was not suddenly feeling like I had lost something or perhaps had found it again I could not really at the time determine which. So I had reached forward with my mind and spoken into their minds asking them why they were here as I had gleamed from their thoughts that they were a scouting party sent ahead to survey the area. They of course had been scared and ran off out of sight and while Lucky Ron and Slick Rick had moved forward to keep watch I informed the others that while I believed we should rest before entering the other rooms we should at least check them out. Now the first chamber was easy money for Swami Donnie and Scrounger and the second chamber opened up to a great cave into the earth. I had asked Slick Rick to come take a look and let me know what he thought and once he had arrived he had confirmed what I had believed from the time we had arrived. He felt a strong feeling that other items we sought could be found in the basement we had just entered as well as the one we had yet to explore. Meanwhile Clean Eugene had used the powers granted to him by Hercules to enhance he already moderate charm and had commence to start putting the Brownies at ease with wit, humor and strong ale. I had a feeling that Deadly Dayna and Lucky Ron were making it difficult for him to pull off his bluff but either way it was nothing I had not felt I could clean up if his namesake failed him. Instead I had continued my focus on the other chamber and had even asked Deadly Dayna to come with me for leaving her and Clean Eugene alone for too long was not in my opinion the smartest idea. We ran into a little snag for Swami Donnie and Scrounger failed to disarm the other trap and while had had withdrew she had delayed had had barely missed being struck by lightning. I had of course be advising the other telepathically of our progress and Lucky Ron had asked about the delay as I had risen from the chamber heading for the door. I had let him know I needed to step outside in order to summon and elemental that I could use to bypass the lightning. Darn headache had been making me sloppy for while I had summoned the shadows to cloak me and even cast an invisibility spell to give myself even more concealment one of the Brownies or perhaps their reinforcements who seemed to be either Bugbears or Hobgoblins had noticed me and fired a catapult at me. The chances had been slim that they would have hit me but the next thing I knew I was surrounded my faerie fire which I of course dispelled and moved inside with my Air Elemental leaving Clean Eugene to smooth things out with the Brownies. My elemental was able to bypass the lightning since it was immune to it and open the door to reveal a large library. Which lead me to cast and break the enchantment on the trap and within the room were found many interesting books and a door beyond that was sealed locked and trapped. The room was filled with plays and musicals ranging from the Tales of the Happy Highwayman to an obscure title called the Way Out. I knew we were low on magic and would not be leaving what with the place being surrounded by over two hundred Brownies and at least thirty or so Bugbears and Hobgoblins we needed to rest and Clean Eugene had done well in negotiating a truce. Since I was not leaving until we cleared the entire place out.

I knew I would only need an hour to rest and so I had summoned my shadow servants to guard every entrance including the ones to the chambers below and rested for an hour. It had seemed there was some kind of land dispute between a Count Devorik another Vampire of course and Baron Edward and it seemed they planned to claim the facility for their very own. When I awoke I felt refreshed my headache was gone as my unseen shadow lover woke me the way I longed to be woken and as I reached my peak I felt my mind expand further and as I cried out I was grateful for the zone of silence I had cast before I had began my rest or the others I am sure would have been distracted by my cries of passion. For I had just experienced my first tantric revelation a secret art that my Mother and Sisters had always channeled into their charisma I had finally mastered and my mind reached out and comprehend many mysteries that had confounded me in the past. So I was not surprised when after a few hours the Counts Castellan had arrived and basically let us know that the estate of the Winter Provider was ours until the night of the Full Moon. Which actually made me consider that perhaps the Count was perhaps a Werewolf as opposed to a Vampire or perhaps even both which I found quite intriguing. We had one more visitor before the others rose that morning and it was none other the who I had been expecting the Red Dragon. He of course had similar shielding to the Gold Dragon but I now knew what to look for and while he was at the door he let Clean Eugene know he was looking for a package. I had already deduced as much as I had began to move toward the door as one of my shadow servants had already found the packaged and after Dirty Anna had confirmed it was not magical moved it toward the door. I realized that they had been preserving food for the Red Dragon which in these lands could indeed be a benefit. Feeling much better at the moment I let the Red Dragon know that former residents had been in league with forces that had lead to this realm being created and the place was better off without them. He let us know that there were still three of them left to be accounted for and I had let him know he was more than welcome to them if we did not find them first. We even shared a joke about him burning the assembled forces outside and encasing them in smoke as he had left I let him know in Draconic that perhaps we might be in touch if we found something that might be worth his while. He had looked to me and nodded before retiring into the night until then. It would only be a little while before everyone was awake and ready to begin and I felt renewed and confident and my only sorrow was that my former beloved Dirty Anna could not share in my pleasure I had gone to her as being still mostly human she needed more rest and cradled her as she slept and I hoped her dreams were pleasant.

The others were up and fully restored and it was time to face whatever other mysterious dangers the Winter Provider had left to offer us. I was a new Woman and I had made a yet another sacrifice that I knew my sisters would have looked down upon for I had strengthened my intellect at the price of my beauty. Well I have always said we never got along and if anyone had ever thought I was a beauty they had never seen my sisters any of which could bring almost any man or women to their knees begging to be their servants. So while I always knew I was beautiful what I actually possessed more than anything else was talent to use what I had been blessed with to my full advantage. It was that trait that my sisters had always envied but I always believed you have to work what you have and be ready to gamble it all from time to time otherwise you might as well go home. We had two chambers to clear and while we were missing Mickey the Torch we would just have to make due and when it was time to leave I was no longer worried for I could shadow walk us all back to Ringtown within an instant for the my other home the Plane of Shadow was now mine to travel as well as the shadow evocations within my power to command so let any that would dare appose me or Dragonfirre beware for our combined power will only continue to grow and by blessed Aphrodite first of the Olympians I know we will prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment