Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chapter Fifteen : More Than Meets The Eye

So is there a good way to explain the situation that I now find myself in I suppose that is the question? I can sense that the power I have been waiting for is almost within my grasp and perhaps that is what has me on edge. Well it could of course be any number of other distractions ranging from my darling Morgan and his disturbing mental state of late I mean really one woman and one man does he really know nothing about Aphrodite. It could even be the changes I sense are going on with my beloved Nialla and what she may be transforming into not that it would really bother me having had an Incubus for a Dad and all but still. Might even be the new arrivals Alth the Warlock and the fact that he is a gnome which while I am sure no one has yet to see through my act I despise because of his race and perhaps a little more on that one I don’t despise him exactly just gnomes make me extremely uncomfortable. Of course there was also the also Yussuf the Paladin bastion of good full of bravado and the propaganda of Hercules. Also lest not forget our newest arrival the Mage Garathal or as he prefers to be called Gary who might be someone who I can relate to intellectually. While Shiron the Kensai continues to brood which I really doubt is a good sign and Erik playing hard to get is really starting to get on my nerves but he still remains someone who I have to admit I lust after. Thankfully Buerick has remained the calm within the storm of Emerald as well as the Realm within Stone and without his guidance and stability I really fear for what might have happened to this mission. Now add all that to the situations with Swami Donnie’s gang with which we have affiliated ourselves, the many groups who are actively in pursuit of us our most determined being the Red Menace and then of course the quest to create the Lightning Gun and destroy the Dreaming God which was why were dealing with the Magicians. Well not exactly dealing shall I say holding captive until I was prepared to bind one of them to my will. That moment was almost at hand for my powers as a Beguiler are growing at an astounding rate and I feel it must be the blessings of the Gods and I did not intend to let them down and Aphrodite willing my companions, lovers and friends will understand.

Nialla was staying within the Realm within the Stone with Shiron and of course Yussuf keeping an eye on our captives while the others had exited and I was still in the progress of gaining insight and building a rapport with Doctor Mason. I knew the question might soon arise about if the good or shall I say bad doctor would be leaving the safe house alive. I wanted to keep him alive if at all possible for he had been mentioned by the Lamp of Al-Hazred as someone of interest. The conversation was going smoothly when Louie the Lip motioned for me to come over to him near the door to another room. I politely excused myself and walked away to find out what Louie had to relate to me. As I was walking away the most amazing thing happened Morgan suddenly had his short sword which he drew and entered a Kata with his reclaimed sword which I will admit was so graceful it almost brought me to tears. Now I knew something was up because I had looked for that sword and it had been nowhere to be found and somehow some ally of ours had just replaced it. I knew we had one actually ever since the incident in the sewers when Shiron and Erik had teleported and put pressure on the blue armored cannon wielding servants of the Stolen Eye Wizard during our excursion into the sewers. So if it was our benefactor then I as yet still had no way to explain it I would have to confer with the Lamp of Al-Hazred. Morgan seemed to now know how his sword had returned either and to be honest on this world I felt he was actually better served without it. Louie the Lip’s information was actually worth hearing for it seemed that another Hyborian which he called a package had been located by his operatives. It seemed that the Red Menace were transporting a package thru the city of Montrose on a train that he referred to as a yard train. It seemed the said train would be making a number of rotations around the city and then returning to the Grey Station and then loaded onto a thru train and leave the city. He had continued to relate how the package was located on a refrigerated car of the train which should have fourteen cars and if we wanted to make the train stationary then we needed to let him know in a few moments. I had told him to give me two minutes to confer with my companions and I stepped away to confer with Buerick. Granted Shiron and Yussuf were busy conferring within the Realm within the Stone and performing guard duty I realized with or without them it any mission was to have a chance of success I would need the support of Buerick. Buerick was not even hesitant in his decision that we needed to recover the Hyborian and so I returned to Louie and told him to stop the train. Well perhaps I am being a little poetic Buerick’s actual words were more like “We are not running a Hyborian Rescue Service!” but the reality was he was willing to help. So within moments a plan was put together I would turn Morgan invisible Buerick would transform into a ferret and climb on me and then I would render myself invisible as well and the others would remain within the Realm ready to exit if necessary. We acquired a canvas truck and the services of Mac Daddy and Diamond Jim where we would ride and wait until the time was right after the truck was stopped. The plan was simple either Morgan, Buerick and I would be able to sneak up to the refrigerated train car while I used my zone of silence spell and a silent image spell to ensure that we were not seen or heard and Morgan would touch the Hyborian and transport them both into the Realm within the Stone at which point it would be simplicity itself for me to return with Buerick the way I had come.

If only it could have been that easy but as I have come to learn even the best of plans can face obstacles on Emerald. I was still suffering from the headaches that had started the day before and I was still holding my developing abilities at bay for I was determined to transform the art of the Mindbender into the more subtle art of the Mindweaver. My Mother had told me everything I had needed to know but of course that was more than five years ago when the idea of embracing my good nature was something I had believed impossible. Now I could feel my mind expanding and so I was not really surprised when Morgan and I ran into a slight snag in our plan. We had left the truck and been informed that the normal silver engine car was different and had been replaced by a red engine car with five men instead of the normal two. It seemed while the other on the train had been willing to exit the train while the track was cleared to continue its journey the five no doubt Red Menace were not planning on leaving the car. Funny thing was that was not the problem since I had planned to have that covered with and elaborate illusion. So Morgan, Buerick and I had arrived silent invisible and with a detect thought spell cast just in case at the edge of the refrigerated car and I could see it had been recently wedged shut. Morgan’s highly regarded skills were called into play and he was able to hedge the door open ever so slightly and it was then that I picked up the presence of sentient thought. I was a bat-like creature and the servant of Bast the creature that resembled a Death Knight. Morgan was about to move the door open allow us to enter when I just in time managed to grab his shoulder while I told him through my message spell we needed to go back now. Once we were back at the truck I called for Buerick to call for the others to come out for we had a problem and would need the support. So once Nialla, Alth and Erik had joined us I informed them all of the presence of the Death Knight servant of Bast who was more than likely looking for our Hyborian to fuel its hunger for magic.

Actually it was Nialla who voiced her belief that our Hyborian was gifted with magical arts and I remember hoping that we were both right for to finally have a real Wizard among would I hoped help lift the intellectual burden I felt had been placed on my shoulders. It’s not that was not up to the task but I would be nice to have someone around with the intellect to comprehend some of the diverse concepts I had been trying to relate to my companions. So far only Nialla was truly beginning to grasp the big picture and while unlikely as it might be I may have overlooked something a third opinion I figured would be welcome. So with everyone ready I had laid out a plan for Erik to taunt the Death Knight while Nialla and Alth kept it busy with eldritch bolts while trying to locate the Hyborian leaving Morgan to use his speed to reach and transport them both back into the Realm via the Stone. Buerick and I would be handling support and Buerick had already cast a spell which granted Erik two extra draconic limbs while I had cast a haste spell to give us an added advantage. I planned to try using dispel magic spells to render its magic as ineffective as possible as well as maintaining the illusion which would conceal our liberation of the Hyborian from the Red Menace in the engine box car. Now the problem was threefold for once we had arrived and opened the refrigerated train car door we were facing the bat like creature, the Death Knight and an entire car full of refrigerated tanks between us and out the Death Knight. The car was about thirty feet long by twenty feet wide and twelve feet high so there was room near the ceiling and Nialla took to the air no doubt planning to blast the Death Knight but her bolt went astray and stuck me right in the head. I will have to admit the eldritch bolt to the head actually sickened me I could hardly see or even breath and my head was on fire as I felt the magic energy reach into my very soul and I cried out in pain and almost fell to my knees. I could barely make out that Erik had stepped into doorway but was unable to reach either the bat creature or the Death Knight while both Alth and Morgan tumbled in past him no doubt in search of the Hyborian. Nialla had called back to me with sympathy in her voice how sorry she was and while I was angry because of the pain I tried to remain focused even though it was almost impossible. The rest happened almost in a drugged blur for the Death Knight almost managed to slay Alth, Morgan and even made an attempt on Erik. Somehow Alth managed to find the Hyborian and vanish within the Stone and Morgan managed to reach who I would find out was a male Hyborian and transport them both as well as Nialla to the Realm before Death Knight could finish them. Nialla who had overextended herself for I remember having called for the others to leave had remained behind to inflict a little more pain on the Death Knight. I remember that I had managed to cast dispel magic spell twice and I believe I had banished the bat like creature that had been attacking Nialla but I could not be sure. Nialla had unleashed an eldritch blast that hit a wall of the train car and bounced and managed to strike her twice and left her stunned on the ground near the feet of the Death Knight. Thankfully for Morgan for while I had a plan to enable Buerick and myself to escape which could have included Nialla it was not needed. For I had told Mac Daddy to on my signal to drive off once he received a signal that I had placed on the car before we had entered and by now he would be around five hundred feet away so it was simple to close the door grab Buerick and transport us via my fey dimension door and arrive flawlessly with the moving truck. Thankfully Buerick could see that my eyes were blood shot and I was having trouble standing and before I could even beg him to help me he had cast a spell cured me of the sickness that I thought might never end. It was strange I thought I remembered shooting my Colt M1911 and when I checked and reloaded I had I believe I may have shot Erik but I was not sure but If I had I could not wait to make it up to him. While we drive back to the hideout Buerick let me see within the Stone and it seemed helping Nialla recover and from the way he was helping her I wished it had been me that he had been healing and fondling. I hardly noticed that Nialla seemed to be trying to get away from him and I could make out she was saying something about Morgan. When I refocused my vision I saw what she was talking about Morgan seemed to have touched the Hyborian cage and was turning blue and now I could understand why Erik would not be eager to assist. For after Morgan’s harsh word toward him from before he was going to let Morgan handle his own affairs. Sadly we had come to the same conclusion for while I actually loved Morgan I had already come to the conclusion that he was a wild card who would never reveal his intentions but expect others to do so. In my mind he would not be the one outliving me since I figured he would find a way to end his own life without any help from any of us. I realized this matter would need to be resolved one of these days but for now Nialla moved over to Morgan who seemed to be looking worse by the second and called out for Buerick to help. I looked to Buerick with I am sure were nervousness in my eyes as I asked him to please aid Morgan for while I figured Morgan’s life would end suddenly by his own rash actions someday I did not want that day to be today. For of course Morgan had started working on the ice prison holding the Hyborian before even letting anyone else know what he was doing or even before he had been healed. Thankfully Buerick as I knew he would rose to the occasion and restored Morgan and within a few minutes also released from his containment our new arrival or actually old who turned out to indeed be a Human Wizard named Garathal or Gary for short as he himself told us. Buerick spent a little extra time within the Realm seeing to the remaining injuries and then returned to my side. I told him before we arrived back at the hideout I just wanted to enter and quickly introduce myself. I of course toned down my looks for after all he was only Human after all. So I arrived and I noticed that Nialla was already working on bringing him up to speed and I did not interrupt but did let him know that after he was done talking with Nialla and after I had dealt with our little Magician problem as I had indicated our unconscious gang members we would need to talk. I checked with Morgan and thanked him for a job well done and it was strange he seemed to be giving everyone one including out new arrival Gary the evil eye. I figure he is just filled with anger because I know I would be if I was denied sexual release. Morgan really had me thinking and there was a spell that I had learned recently that just do the trick and very might well have had if beloved Nialla had not responded to my advances. The spell of course was a shadow magic version of the unseen lover spell which could form either a male or female lover and while not the greatest in performance it made up for it with stamina. I figured I would lend him one in the future but at that moment my thought turned to Erik and of course why not to look at him was to see a fantasy become a reality. I asked him to accompany me back to Emerald and assist me and Buerick deal with the Magicians and Doctor Mason and he was glad to come with us and taking his arm and what an arm it was we confirmed with Buerick that we were clear to return and vanished.

Erik and I returned just in time to make an entry back into the hideout and our meeting with Louie the Lip. Louie of course asked how things went and I informed him with the exception of a few snags everything went flawlessly. He confirmed that the train was underway and no additional activity had been spotted coming from the five Red Menace engineers. I also informed him that we had encountered an agent of Queen B who was looking for our package but we were able to elude him with ease. He asked me how I wanted to handle Doctor Mason and I informed him I wanted him in one room Mason in another room and an empty room for our personal use and with that preparation taken care we were ready to get down to business. I had a feeling that Louie planned to put an end to the Bad Doctor Mason after he was done making our requested arrangements which was confirmed after a few minutes of speaking with the Doctor and he had called me aside to pretty much tell me as much. I told him I would let him know when it was time but first I would be conferring with two of my colleagues meaning Buerick and Erik. I had returned to Doctor Mason first to find out how he might be performing the operation we needed and he let me know that he needed certain equipment to alter long term memories but a simple two hour gap in the memory was well within his means without a well equipped laboratory with the equipment he had on hand. Of course during that same conversation something very interesting happened the Bad Doctor spoke to me in Draconic and informed me that he had no intention of being wiped out after he completed his work for us and he was even prepared to inform the Red Menace exactly where we were. I of course had betrayed no shock since the Lamp had warned me about him and I had been waiting for him to reveal his ace which I had figured was up his sleeve. I realized I liked this Doctor and while that meant I would need to confer with Buerick and Erik for yet another reason if he could be trusted and held here until we left then perhaps we might be able to work with him again if necessary and I had a feeling it would be. I therefore shared my concerns with Buerick and Erik and they were both opposed to killing him and while I could have went for it I did have my reservations. So with the plan being to wipe them and for Louie to replace them in the building we were set to get the operation started. While Erick was kind enough to fetch the Magicians and place them into our spare room I once again conferred with Louie the Lip to let him know the new plan. We discussed Doctor Mason and the likelihood that he had allowed himself to be brought here and to have him as an ally was far better to perhaps lose good men and he agreed. So after we were away an hour later he would be released and that then only left where we were destined to move to next. Louie informed me that we would be moving out on a train to Apex One within the hour where we would after a few spins through Montrose we would arrive at the Apex One station where we would joined by Sneaky Pete. Everything sound alright but since I am never one to take something at face value I mean Beguiler after all I asked which train were we waiting for and he told me the same on that we had just had dealings with. I of course had told him that we would need another way and he arranged another train to be diverted and the proper bribes which would place us at the Apex One station right on schedule. I had then returned to the Bad Doctor Mason and proceeded to observe his technique as he proceeded to erase the memories of the Magicians and I also informed him everything had been cleared within an hour of our departure he would be released and I also informed him that I liked him and looked forward to working with him in the future. We had continued to chat while he worked and yet another cover story for our activities was revealed to me. It seemed that he was aware of the cloning project and our not doubt ghoul project and that the clones were believed to have found and a secret island refuge. He seemed to find it to be expected that we would attempt to rescue the other clones but he wanted to inform us that the ones we were rescuing were not clones at all. I had managed to keep the bad Doctor talking without revealing anything and even giving him subtle hints that he might be right and had then excused myself as Erik had begun to discuss buying or trading with him for some of his memory erasing drug. I of course had left to cast a detect thoughts spell for I wanted to find out what might be revealed by the Bad Doctor. I was not surprise when I came back and he and Erik were discussing trading gold for some of his drug and while my perception told me something was wrong my spell told me that everything was just right. Sometimes what a spell tells you is just as important as what it does not and as I smiled at the Bad Doctor he smiled back as I spoke him in draconic to do me a favor and not rip off my friend to much while he had responded that he was just trying to make a profit on the whole venture. So I left him and Eric to complete their arrangement while Louie and his men removed the Magicians leaving only their leader for me to interrogate tomorrow. I had a feeling I would need to do some things to our Magician captive that I would regret but I just had to remember I had it on the word of the Paladin Yussuf that he was evil and therefore if I only used my gifts to gain information to help our cause which was good then I could make peace with Aphrodite and do my penance as her teachings saw fit.

Our new train was a two car cargo transport train and we relaxed in the back it was a short thirty minute ride and while Buerick, Erik and I stood the entire ride since after all we were of Hyboria were walking for six hours a day was not unheard of I am sure to the softies of Emerald it would have seemed bad. As we arrived at the Apex One station I did have to not that it surprising that the city’s borders were mostly empty and farmland and only near the center was there even the semblance of a city and with the exception of a tall white building and of course the local GTC the town was not much to even look at. Sneaky Pete was there to meet us an escorted us to a building about two blocks from the station. The building was small it only had two bedrooms a living room and a kitchen. We also met just the man I had been looking for Gizmo Dent who as I had hoped was a reformed Bad Scientist now on the payroll of Swami Donnie. I was glad to see Sneaky Pete and I was able to find out that negotiations to free Mongo had completely broken down and I had realized there were two loose ends I needed to fit into our busy schedule the death of dammed Shoggoth servant of Cthulhu and the rescue of Mongo who was being held by a Red Menace faction. Everyone had exited the Stone while continued to be fascinated by Gizmo Dent who informed me that he had be told to keep his mouth shut unless spoken to and since we were not talking he could answer questions. What Swami Donnie had told him made sense the more he knew about why we were here and what we were doing put him at greater risk. Which was why I was getting to know him better so I could pick his brain about technology. Sneaky Pete had informed me that he was mostly there repair guy for their cars and such but I had taken one look at his personal weapon of choice a two handed pistol that he had custom built. It was a beautiful piece of work with two barrels and the ability to be loaded with all kind so special ammunition and while I was admiring it and thinking of having him make me one Sneaky Pete had to once again spoil my bubble and inform me that the reason that there was only the prototype was because Gizmo Dent did not know the meaning of the word budget. I of course talked with Gizmo for a while longer pulling books that I had read regarding technology so he could assist me and make sure I was grasping the concepts correctly. We even discussed his time with the Bad Scientists as a low level technician and being ranked and initiate of the first circle. Of course the joke was if you had to ask about the other levels then you were not ready for the other levels. I was aware of time passing while Nialla, Alth and Gary had continued to talk and Morgan had continued to sulk and so when Nialla had suggested we retire I was eager to join her. Erik took one bedroom and while I had asked him if he wanted company he politely declined who I truly loved men who played hard get and while I had not yet tried to all out seduce him I have him a look that I was sure would inform him that I was thinking about it. I had looked to Buerick and asked if he minded if I went into the Realm with Nialla and he had said he would remain and to rest well. While Morgan had decided to keep watch with Sneaky Pete and Gizmo Dent well so much for his unseen lover since I figured if he was going to take a watch being on edge might actually come in handy. After everyone else had entered the Stone I took Nialla’s had and we vanished to the edge of the tree house within the Realm within the Stone.

Now perhaps I might have failed to have described the beauty of the elven tree house that in truth was a marvel to behold that I realized I had taken for granted for when Nialla as well as Gary and Alth whom she had invited up to join us was quite expansive to say the least. There were two levels four bedrooms as well a kitchen, library, pantry, study and two balconies the upper and lower of which overlooked natural archways where we could see to the outside world. While I left them on the lower balcony I had returned to the hideout on Emerald for while we had a kitchen it was not really stocked and I figured I might as well prepare dinner. Well actually I planned on letting my shadow magic servant hoard of unseen servants prepare the meal as well as set the living room table and even prepare a few erotic surprises for the Nialla on the second floor master bedroom. I even got a little carried away and shadow summoned an unseen lover to add a little unexpected flavor to the after dinner surprise. Of course I did not betray anything to Nialla, Gary or Alth and to be honest it was solely the fact that Nialla and Morgan seemed to like him that I was able to put up with not only the sight but the smell of our gnome associate. While we dined I shared engaged Gary in a discussion about his magical ability and how he was adjusting to Emerald. It seemed Gary was somewhat of an Evoker and while that seemed to please Nialla I had hoped for more of a Generalist but was proud to find out that Nialla had done quite an excellent job in bringing him up to speed. I really needed to relate a few facts about the technology possessed by the Moonbeast’s and the Starlord’s who with the aid of the Shining Trapexohedron may had been how Hyboria was discovered as well as what led to the death of races of our homeworld. Now of course Nialla believed we still had a chance to save our world where I felt if we returned we would only be caught up on the death of our people and we needed to focus on who we could save now meaning the Hyborians of Hilltop, any still trapped and building the Lightning Gun. She had seemed still a little confused and I told her I would have faith and if she and Morgan proved to be right that there was a way to return without dying I might be willing to try it. I politely bid Gary and Alth evening and had my servants show them to rooms if they wished or outside if the preferred I really hoped the gnome would sleep for otherwise my servants would be spending hours getting the smell out of the tree house. So leading Nialla upstairs I bid my servants to clean up and guard the doors well basically just make sure I was aware if a door was opened which with fifteen servants was not really that difficult. I had hoped to take Nialla’ mind away from her nightmares and with the night I had planned if it did not work the I would be sure that more was going on than met the eye. While our night was one I am sure Nialla will never soon forget and when she fell asleep I was sure she was satisfied as was I. When I woke up to her tossing and turning and the smell of brimstone I could hear her screaming. I reached out to her mind and spoke to her and told her everything would be alright as I summoned servants to bring her water as she looked at me with surprise I continued to speak in her mind and told her Nialla no matter what ever happens I will always love you and I proceeded to tell using my gift of telepathy of my family and my past and I stayed linked with her until we both fell back asleep and when I awoke I knew things would never again be the same. We had begun this journey not even knowing what stood against us and now Emerald and our Quest for the Lightning Gun were bringing out the best and worst of us all for it seemed we were all willing to pay any price to achieve our goal I just hoped it was worth it.

In retrospect the morning held quite a few more surprises which I will reserve for a future date but suffice to say Nialla continues to have issues that may very well make her walk in the light that much harder and after a morning conversation with Buerick regarding my Morgan and people of this world he shared with me a bit of wisdom the I cannot fail to document. I have to admit I love eloquent sense of style for instance his exact words were “He who stands in our way to save Hyboria will die. I have no regret killing those who have intentions upon harming Hyboria.”. During our continued conversation while I prepared breakfast and spoke of how I believed we could make use of the inhabitants of Emerald he related to me how he truly viewed the mission “ I am not here to make friends with the locals, or offer my services for hire. (much like Morgan always does) The inhabitants of this world want to harvest pure blood Hyborians, and this will not happen!” . I have to say I felt a lot better about myself for while I had in the past thought even less of people of this world I will admit I was glad to know I could count on Buerick to keep me grounded. As far as Morgan was concerned he had information to relate to us regarding three Red Menace operative that he had witnessed the night before and one of them even had a third eye. So while I felt refreshed and prepared to face whatever Emerald had to offer and to admit quite a few of my comrades looked as refreshed as I had been and finally my headache was gone and finally my mind was clear and it was time to get to work for it would soon be time for the Red Menace to realize that they had gone far enough and I was really beginning to realize it was high time they learned that we were “More Than Meets The Eye.”.

No comments:

Post a Comment